Monday, May 10, 2010

Birth by iPhone - 8:00 am update

So here we are, in the hospital, working on bringing Sprout into the harsh, outside world. I'm posting a lot on Facebook, but I want to keep this updated, too, for memory keeping. :-)

We arrived at the hospital about 5:15 am, and Nurse Marlene got me started with the lovely gown, the 4,679 questions, the IV, and the Pitocin with the promise that I was first on the anesthesiologist's agenda for the day, and then she left.

Within 15 minutes I was having painful contractions every 2 minutes, squeezing Dave's hand, trying to do my special breathing, saying lots of "doggones" and "wows" and "holy cows.". I put up with that for about 15 minutes, and called Marlene to ask if we could stop the Pitocin till I could get my epidural. No use in feeling pain if I didn't have to, right? :-). She asked me how I would rate my pain, and Dave said "8!" but I didn't cuss, so it couldn't have been an 8! :-)

As it turns out, even though I was first on the list, the anestesiologists were having a meeting so she thought I'd have to wait. ("No waiting! I neeeeed that epidural!!"). Thankfully, she made a call and they released an anesthesiologist to come up and get me all squared away. Yippee!! He came in, talked me through everything, and I was good to go. Thank goodness!

By then it was 7:00, and my day nurse, Crystal, came in to take care of me through labor and delivery. We got the Pitocin back on, and everything set up for the baby, so NOW I was ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you sewing?