Wednesday, February 6, 2013

{WiP} Wednesday ~ 6/52 ~ Eating Elephants

You know that old saying, "How do you eat an elephant?" Answer: "One bite at a time."

That's how I feel about my quilt for QuiltCon. I'm slowly working through all the stages to get it ready to send, but it is a SLOW process around here. I don't really get to work on it during the day, so after the kids are in bed, then I can start. But who is functional and efficient at 8:00 at night? Not me!! I'm slow. And slow. Or even slower. :)

So I do what I can, when I can. And I'm down to the last two steps. I sewed the label on this morning, only to realize that what I thought was the lower left-hand corner was really the upper right-hand corner...exactly where the sleeve should go!

Oops!

I am pleased to announce that ripping out ladder stitches is much easier than ripping out any other kind of stitches I've ever ripped. :)

During naptime I was able to make a drawstring bag. It's not fancy, but I like it. And it was free.

My first drawstring bag


So tonight I'm going to put on the sleeve, and tomorrow I'll attach the label, and I'll be done!

Done, I tell ya! And the next time I'll see the quilt, we'll both be in Austin at QuiltCon! :)

Which, by the way, the Modern Quilt Guild has asked all attendees to link up with a post with a little information about me

According to the meme you might have seen on Instagram lately, we are to post our picture, and then post 5 things you might not know about me.

Here's me last September.

And here are 5 things you might not know about me:
  1. I've never been drunk. And no, I don't have to have this experience! 
  2. I don't really like to eat, and have no "comfort food" when I'm upset. 
  3. I have a thing about $$. I always have more than enough, but I still feel poor sometimes. 
  4. I LOVE good pens. And loathe bad ones. I'm kind of a snob about them. 
  5. Long before I even WANTED kids, I knew I would have 2 girls, and had their names picked out about 5 years in advance. Good thing no one stole their names!
 And in case I'll see you at QuiltCon, but you don't normally read my blog, here are some other tidbits:
  1. I have a 4 year old daughter (Mookie), a 2 year old daughter (Sprout), and a 9 month old son (Buzz, or Rocket Man), and I've been married for 13 1/2 years to Dave.
  2. I am the president of the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild, and we meet (usually) south of Denver in a little town called Monument. We are about to celebrate our 2nd birthday, and it's been quite a fun ride. The guild is made up of some really incredible women, and I am always inspired and energized after a guild meeting.
  3. I learned to sew in 1997, in Mrs Wadsworth's 3rd period Home Ec class. It was my first year teaching, and 3rd period was my off period, so I learned to sew alongside my students. :)  
Good enough.  Now...WiPs! :)

Like I said, I'm almost finished with Hope Takes Flight 2.0. I'll be boxing her up on Friday so she can get to Austin in time. :)

Then I have to sew my bee blocks!! I'm SO behind, it's shameful!! :-(

But one thing I do want to share with you is a fun little finish. Sorta. It's a finish of finishes.

I made a calendar of quilts!  This is only a few of the pictures, but I think it's a really fun way to remember what quilts I've made or been a part of making.


Grace's Traveler Quilt



October ~ Calendar Page for Yolanda




Maybe next year I'll have a calendar of quilts I made in 2013! Hah! (Not at the rate I'm going!)

Hope you have a great week!

Linking up to Freshly Pieced's WiP Wednesday link-up.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

And, of course, the MQG QuiltCon link up! :)


4 comments:

  1. I love your calendar! And I can't wait to see you again in Austin. It's been too long, bee buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The calendar is awesome! I clicked over from Freshly Pieced because I wanted a closer look at your drawstring bag. Is that what you'll use to send your quilt to QuiltCon? I'm so excited for it, only two more weeks!

    It's so funny that I randomly clicked on your thumbnail because I'm the president of the Fort Collins Modern Quilt Guild... nice to meet you, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are amazing! so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you've at last got to the heffalump's tail ;o) Lovely to see you :o)

    ReplyDelete

What are you sewing?