But I've really had my nose to the grindstone this week trying to get my quilt for Craft Hope/Alabama done. Well, and having a joint birthday party on Saturday (and having to super-clean because my grandma came down!) and guests coming to stay from Sunday till tomorrow.
The birthday girls. Scrumptious!
Nose to the grindstone. I haven't sewn anything else.
The blocks in pile. Not nearly as impressive as I thought they would be.
I had to clean up my
The blocks all rolled up. There was a tiny patch of sun, and I the colors were brilliantThis is 80 blocks, and the back will have some pieces/scraps from the fat quarters I used for the front. I HAVE TO get the top and back done by Friday morning because I've reserved time on the long arm, and that's really the only time I can do it.
I'm using the Flowerbeds pattern from the Jan/Feb 2011 issue of McCall's Quilting. BUT, I will warn you...if you do this pattern on your own, you will not need as much of the border/sashing/white fabric as the pattern calls for. If you follow the pattern exactly, then you're good, but if you're a pattern-deviant like me, then you'll have a lot more than you really need.
I wasn't sure if I would dig the colors once I got the blocks together up on the wall, but I still do. They're definitely not my first choice of colors, but I wanted this quilt to be something that a man wouldn't mind having in his home. I mean, really. These people are rebuilding their lives from nothing. From the ground up, so I wanted to have it be a color combination that either a man or woman would be pleased to have decorating their new space.
Hopefully I will get to show you finished pictures next week, as well as other finishes!!
Recap of WiPs:
- Robert Kaufman Kona Solids Challenge - unfinished, but I'm stoked about my design!
- Kelly's Bee Happy door and window blocks - unfinished, but halfway done.
- do.Good Stitches Bee - unfinished, but 5% done. :)
- Camera Strap - unstarted, but I need to move this up on the must-do list!
- Jen's Purse - unstarted.
- Birdie Stitches - some unfinished, some unstarted. I'm going to a retreat in June, and I plan to take these along to work on there. I'll have lots of handwork time on my hands. :)
- Bottled Rainbows Quilt-along - unstarted.
New this week (or more like "remembered" this week!)
- Secretive Get Better quilt - unstarted, but I'll put everything aside when the time comes to make this.
- Secretive P-n-P quilt - unstarted, must buy the fabric and then figure out a pattern.